Break Thru offers an unfunded program to jobseekers; either ongoing or one-off assistance (e.g. emergency funding) that require assistance beyond the criteria of funded programs.
Break Thru also regularly encourages staff to support the community providing each staff member with the opportunity to spend one work day each year in volunteering activities that support people in need.
Some of the local and national initiatives our people are involved in are:
- Soul Cafe is an initiative that provides approximately 700 free meals a week to highly disadvantaged members of the Hunter community. Many of these are homeless, have a mental illness, substance abuse issue or live in poverty. Break Thru is proud to support the Soul Caf, through its sponsorship and also through the volunteering of local staff who help to serve meals at the Caf. Soul Caf also aims to provide ancillary services to disadvantaged individuals and assist them to overcome their individual issues and be re-engaged back into the community. Most of all, the Soul Caf provides a place of belonging, meaning and caring that many participants have not previously experienced.
- Westpac Helicopter Rescue Wyong Race Day was a partnership undertaken with Break Thru to help raise funds towards a replacement helicopter in 2010.
- St Vincent De Paul’s 2009 CEO Sleepout Break Thru CEO, Ross Lewis joined 220 business leaders to sleepout at Luna Park, Sydney without any shelter and without much sustenance, except some cardboard on which to sleep. His efforts contributed greatly to increase both awareness and funds for the homeless, with a total of $565,000 raised from the event.
- Harmony Day is celebrated on March 21st each year and promotes the benefits of cultural diversity in Australia by promoting respect, fairness and a sense of belonging for everyone.
- Victorian Bushfire Appeal Following the devastating effect the Victorian bushfires had on the lives of many people, Break Thru arranged that for every dollar raised by their staff, they would match the amount dollar for dollar and as a result, Break Thru was pleased to donate $18,730 to the Australian Red Cross.
- Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea To help achieve the Cancer Council’s target of raising $11 million this year, Break Thru held a “hamper auction” amongst their staff, followed by a morning tea at their Head Office.
- International Day of People with a Disability is celebrated on December 3rd each year across the world and recognises the achievements and contributions of people with disability.
- Leukaemia Foundation World’s Greatest Shave will see 100,000 people across the country shave or colour their hair to raise money towards leukaemia research.
- Everyman’s Welfare Service provides members of the Australian Defence Force and their families by providing counselling, recreational opportunities and other support. The ADF also rely on this service to lift morale in the field or on base.
- Jeans for Genes Day is held on the first Friday of August each year and the money raised helps go towards the Children’s Medical Research Institute.
- Yarra Bay House at La Perouse Breakthru operates an Outreach service from this site 1 day per week on Wednesday and assists the community with not only employment matters but also housing, education and legal issues
- Pindarri Warriors Pindarri name comes from the meaning “meeting place on the water”. The Pindarri Warriors are made up of player’s from all over NSW and play in a Rugby League knockout every year for the right to host the knockout in their local area. The Knockout is the biggest gathering of Indigenous people in Australia.
Through combined efforts, knowledge and resources. Break Thru People Solutions operates with a belief that we can effect real and lasting change in the lives of the most disadvantaged members of our local communities.
In tackling the increasing multiplicity of barriers confronting many people, Break Thru recognises that our success very much relies on the engagement and support of the wider community.
We work closely with various organisations that invest in Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and are aligned with the overall objectives and values of Break Thru.
We are committed to operate in ways that benefit society and promote responsible business practice, whilst minimising our impact on the environment.
Should your organisation like to find out how you can work with Break Thru and help improve the communities in which you live and work, please contact us on (02) 8884 300.